There are several options
It happens that the system disk is full, and you don’t know what can be deleted. Here are some options for safely cleaning the system.
Freetrendz expert listed six ways to clean up a computer on Windows. They will help you safely get rid of “garbage” on your computer.
- Disk Cleanup . This is the simplest and safest method. You need to go to the “Properties” of the local disk (to do this, right-click on any of the disks in the system and select this item) and run the operating system cleanup tool. After the scan is completed, you will have the opportunity to select the items you want to delete. In addition, you can remove programs installed on your PC using the “Advanced” tab.
- Emptying the recycle bin basket . To do this, you can enter the command shell:RecycleBinFolder or go to the “Trash” through the “Explorer” and delete everything manually. You also need to understand that after emptying the Recycle Bin, files from the computer disappear forever.
- Clearing the temporary folder of the operating system and local user . To clear it, you will have to turn on the display of hidden files and folders. Next, you will need to find the Temp folder in the Windows folder on the system drive. There is also a hidden local user temporary folder. It is located by default here: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp .
- Deleting the hibernation or hibernation file . This method will help if you do not use sleep mode. To remove the hiberfil.sys file, use the powercfg.exe /hibernate off command.
- Deleting the contents of the system update folder . Every time you install an update, the system creates a special restore point. This makes it possible to return to the previous state in case of an error or breakdown. But such restore points can take up additional space. To find them, you need to go to the “Control Panel”, and then to the “Backup and Restore” tab. In general, by default, the desired folder can be found in SoftwareDistribution.
- Deleting files from the Download folder and temporary browser files . For example, in Google Chrome, you need to click on the button with three vertical dots and go to Settings and Controls. Next, select “Additional tools”, “Delete browsing data”. In addition, you can clear the folder where the downloaded files are downloaded.