Very often at home we use one computer with all family members. At the same time, in order not to constantly change accounts and not waste time logging in, we will use the account of the one who set up the computer. In such a situation, it may turn out that the search queries of everyone in the family will be in the public domain for everyone. In most cases, it won’t do any harm. But there may be things that are not meant for the eyes of everyone else. For example, you want to make a surprise and plan to keep all information about it a secret until the last.
This point is especially critical in that if your account is entered on a computer and phone, then the search history will be synchronized between devices. In such a situation, clearing the search history can help a lot . Let’s see how this can be done.
How to clear history on google
There are several fairly simple ways to clear your Google search history . At the same time, after each cleaning, especially if it concerns a computer, then it is imperative to delete the cache , cookies and browser history. This is necessary due to the fact that some browsers, such as Google Chrome , store the data entered in the fields on the sites in memory in order to offer you these options for quick input in the future. Therefore, it may turn out that you clear the history in the search engine itself, but pre-filling from the browser will give away your little secret.
But in any case, you should start by deleting history directly in Google . For this you need:
- On an Android smartphone, open the Google app . It is installed by default on all smartphones with Google Play services and cannot be removed by standard means. If you deleted it at one time, you can download it from the app store .
- In the upper right corner, click on the circle with your account.
- Go to the Search History section.
- Click the “Delete” button and select for which period you want to clear the history: for today, for a specific time or the entire history.
- In the same section, you can configure automatic search cleaning . Click the “Automatic removal” button and set the period after which the program will clean it up itself. Available options: 3, 18 and 36 months.
Unfortunately, when choosing automatic cleaning, you cannot choose a more flexible period. Not everyone is suitable for such long periods. Here it remains only to delete the history in manual mode. It will be much more reliable for you.
How to delete history in chrome
As I said above, after clearing the history in Google , you need to clear the browser data as well. If you are using Google Chrome , then you need to follow these steps:
- Launch Chrome on your smartphone.
- Click on the three dots in the upper right corner and go to the “Settings” section.
- Select “Privacy and Security”.
- Click “Clear History”.
- Set the time range corresponding to the period for which you deleted the history from the search engine, and without removing the checkmarks, click the “Delete data” button.
Now we can say that on your smartphone you have completely secured the information you were looking for, and no one will see it. The same steps can be performed from a computer. In some cases this will be even faster:
- Open any web browser and go to Google My Activity .
- Log in to your Google Account .
- Click “Filter by date and product” and select “Search”.
- You can delete specific search terms by clicking on the X next to each one.
- If you want to delete all requests for a specific period, click “Delete” and select the period: hour, day, all time, or a custom range.
- Additionally, you can configure automatic cleaning of the search history. In the same menu, select “Application and web history”.
- Scroll to the very bottom and click “Set up automatic deletion”.
- In the window that opens, check the appropriate box and select a convenient period: 3, 18 or 36 months.
After these settings , the search history will be cleared on all devices where your Google account is used. Additionally, you should clear the actions in the browser on the computer. In Google Chrome , this is done as follows:
- Open Chrome.
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner and go to settings.
- Select the “Privacy and Security” section.
- Click “Clear History”.
- Set the time range corresponding to the period for which you cleared the search history.
- Without unchecking any checkboxes, click “Delete data”.
Now your browser will be crystal clear, and no one will be able to see what you were looking for and what sites you visited. I am glad that Google gives us such an opportunity. And you can do it without any difficulties from absolutely any device.