On Monday, August 8, Apple released iOS 16 beta 5. Traditionally, the update is only distributed to developers and owners of the corresponding beta profile. Despite this, almost anyone can get it, as well as upgrade to a test build. The update has build 20A5339d. Keep this in mind if you install it not over the air, but as a separate file downloaded from somewhere else. This will help not to turn the device into a brick by accidentally rolling an earlier version.
Since we are already in the fifth beta version, and in the yard – August, it is obvious that we are quite close to the equator. This is the moment when the release of the final version of iOS 16 will be less time than it has been since the beginning of the preliminary tests. Thus, we can assume that all the innovations planned for the release assembly have already been presented and nothing new should be expected from the update.
What’s new in the iOS 16 beta
This version is confirmed by the absence of significant innovations in iOS 16 beta 5. If there were still some functional changes in the previous assembly, then in this one there are none at all, or almost none. And since there is nothing to brag about today, we will remind you of the list of innovations in iOS 16 beta 4:
- Changing messages . You can now edit a message in iMessage at any time after sending it to the other person (previously it was 15 minutes).
- Feedback messages . Now you can only revoke a message sent in iMessage for 2 minutes.
- Mark messages as unread . You can now dismiss messages as unread if you don’t have time to read or reply to them at the moment.
- Transferring a call to FaceTime . With this feature, you can answer a FaceTime call on iPhone and then continue it on Mac, iPad or vice versa.
As we know from the experience of previous years, not all the innovations presented at the presentation of iOS 16 will be released as part of the release assembly. Some of them in Cupertino are traditionally postponed for subsequent versions, which will be released a little later. For example, as part of iOS 16.1, iOS 16.2 or iOS 16.3 (yes, sometimes the release of innovations that are especially difficult in terms of implementation occurs with such a delay).
How to install the iOS 16 beta
If you want to upgrade to iOS 16 beta 5, you can do so without restrictions from Apple by installing a beta developer profile. It’s free. True, you perform all the update actions at your own peril and risk, because test builds for developers, as the name implies, are not intended for ordinary users.
- Download the iOS 16 beta profile from this link ;
- Go to “Settings” – “Profile loaded”;
- Install it and reboot your device;
- Go to Software Update, search for updates and install iOS 16 beta 5.
As always, before installing a beta update – regardless of version – we strongly recommend that you save a backup. Do not rely on chance and do not expect the iPhone to do it automatically. The fact is that now many of the linked payment methods regularly fly off, which is why the iCloud subscription is not renewed, and the backup is not saved.